Boehringer-Ingelheim: Automation & Controls Engineer III, Columbus, OH
Job Title: Automation & Controls Engineer III
Location: Columbus, OH
Job Type: Full-Time
Directly responsible for the management and execution of all Engineering activities related to automation solutions for production and/or facility equipment.
Provide operational support, complex troubleshooting, and optimization for automation equipment, directing and coordinating activities to improve reliability, and applying advanced engineering principles to the design and implementation of new equipment.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
• Partner with Engineering lead to support the design, specification, installation, startup and validation of process control systems, electrical systems and instrumentation for capital and upgrade projects
• Ensure site specifications, standards and cGMP compliance to expectations are met and that good engineering practices are followed
• Coordinate with other engineers, project managers, and suppliers to assure a complete and timely design and implementation
• Direct more complex group projects – identify, propose and champion creative and constructive solutions articulating the business value created
• Monitor and communicate progress on all projects within the assigned portfolio to successfully deliver project scope, timeline and budget objectives
• Maintain a “state of control” over systems by assuring maintenance of as-built drawings, system documentation and EX rating management
• Coordinate with Operations to identify requirements for process controls, develop control strategies and implement
• Research new technologies and procedures relative to automation and controls that could be utilized to improve the business and processes
• Analyze, compare and select equipment best suited for various applications
• Contribute to functional forums at the site, regionally, and within the Global Engineering Network
• Support standards development and master planning activities
• Troubleshoot control and instrumentation systems to resolve complex equipment issues
• Provide engineering expertise and technical guidance to maintenance to perform repairs, design changes, or other corrections as a result of troubleshooting or performance evaluation
• Identify continuous improvement activities relative to automation control systems throughout the site and champion solutions aligned with Site and Department metrics, Business Objectives and Strategy
• Identify areas of opportunity to improve equipment and component reliability
• Mentor peers and site resources on automation and control systems of production equipment
• Provide training and technical supervision to instrumentation and electrical personnel as well as Flow technicians for automation control systems throughout the site
• Develop calibration, preventative maintenance and additional procedures in support of systems and instruments installed
• 6+ years of experience in all areas of process control systems encompassing instrumentation, automated control, and electrical distribution, preferably in the chemical, food, or pharmaceutical industries
• Experience with network and system administration of Microsoft based systems, Visual Basic, and SQL is preferred
• Experience in programming/troubleshooting Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
• Experience with Allen-Bradley, Modicon, and Siemens S7 PLCs is preferred
• Experience in programming and configuration of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems; experience with Wonderware products is preferred
• Demonstrated computer skills, including but not limited to, MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project and AutoCAD
• Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and initiatives
• Demonstrated successful communication and negotiation skills in order to manage conflicting and/or multiple demands, including ability to present to various level within an organization
• Demonstrated ability to apply analytical skills to identify problems; recognizes symptoms, causes, and alternate solutions and makes timely sound decisions even under risk and uncertainty
• 4 to 6 years of leadership experience
Desired Experience, Skills and Abilities:
• Direct and intimate knowledge of applicable laws and regulations including those mandated by FDA, DEA, EMEA, OSHA, Building Code, NFPA, & EPA
• Strong Project Management skills coupled with the ability to effectively manage and partner with subordinates, contractors and vendors
• General understanding of the business case and an appreciation of financial / analytical issues
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
• Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
• Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is a different kind of pharmaceutical company, a privately held company with the ability to have an innovative and long term view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries that improve patients’ lives and we equate success as a pharmaceutical company with the steady introduction of truly innovative medicines. Boehringer Ingelheim is the largest privately held pharmaceutical corporation in the world and ranks among the world’s 20 leading pharmaceutical corporations. At Boehringer Ingelheim, we are committed to delivering value through innovation. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Roxane Inc., Roxane Laboratories Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Chemicals, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Inc. and Ben Venue Laboratories Inc., is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
To apply, please click here.
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment background investigations and drug screenings.
Please reference BioTechPharmJobs.com when responding.