Job Title: Scientific Systems Administrator
Company: The Huttenhower Lab
Department: Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health
Location: Boston, MA
Job Type: Temporary
The Huttenhower lab in the Department of Biostatistics at the Harvard School of Public Health is seeking a Scientific Systems Administrator to lead design, implementation, and delivery of a Bioinformatics Center for analysis of the human microbiome. A controlled-access web presence, secure data storage space, and automated bioinformatic analysis pipelines are to be implemented to support study of the microbiome as part of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America’s Microbiome Initiative.
The successful candidate will be responsible for working the lab’s research group and the Harvard University Information Technology team to develop a Bioinformatics Center providing a the following services:
• Secure storage for and access to raw experimental data for consortium members
• Basic automated analysis workflows for 16S marker gene, metagenomic, and metatranscriptomic data leveraging existing software
• Basic automated access to these analysis results, with links to external resources for further information and consortium clinical data not stored by these services
• Hands-on bioinformatic analysis services on an as-needed, first-come-first-served basis using standard request ticketing systems
The Administrator will oversee a small team of on- and off-site bioinformaticians in support of non-automated analysis services, with primary responsibilities comprising design of the overall platform, implementation using off-the-shelf software packages (e.g. Galaxy workflows, Request Tracker tickets, Aspera transfer software, or similar), and liaison with Harvard University IT for computing resources. Strong system administration and programming skills are a must, but no prior experience with biology or bioinformatics is necessary.
The candidate will work as part of a diverse research team with interests in scalable genomic data mining, computational metagenomics, and the human microbiome in public health. Funding is available for three years of Bioinformatics Center development, contingent upon annual reviews, with options available for subsequent extension and expansion. The candidate must be available for weekly meetings at the Harvard School of Public Health Longwood campus and on-site interaction with Harvard University IT at the Cambridge campus, but most work can be carried out on- or off-site as needed.
Please note: This is a grant-funded position with possible renewal.
• Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative science or related field
• Two years of experience in Linux/Unix systems administration and command line environment
• Working knowledge of basic IT tasks (networking, security, user management)
• Working knowledge of a scripting environment appropriate for systems administration (shell, Python, Perl, or comparable)
• Basic knowledge of web applications (particularly Galaxy, Ruby on Rails, or related)
• Master’s or Doctoral degree in quantitative science of related field can substitute for work experience
• Prior biological or bioinformatic experience is not required but is beneficial
• Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
• 3 – 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
• We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
• University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program:
• Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
• Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
• Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join HSPH to support our mission of health research & education and be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Pre-Employment Screening Identity
To apply online, please click here.
An equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V.
Please reference BioTechPharmJobs.com when responding.